Thursday, July 17, 2008

Really Pleasing News...and a little bad.....

Ok so the Good news first! I saw my neurosurgeon today in Indy and he was about blown off of his chair when he saw how well I was doing. I asked his permission to graduate to a quad-cane and he said sure. So then he asked me to walk for him.... I said "What?" so he grabbed my one hand and lead me to the hall where he let go and said walk. Yikes I said! But sure enough I did it! I WALKED ALL BY MYSELF! He couldn't believe it! So as we reentered the room he proceeded to tell me this: Did you know that there are many people who have the same injury as you and some of them never walk again and some of them walk, however it takes them two years to progress as quickly as you. God is so GOOD! Look at what your prayers have done. The Lord has heard you on my behalf, granted your requests, and thank God I am being healed! I know there is no way I could ever repay you all...... however, I can pray for you. So if you ever need something prayed about please let me know and I will return the favor! My x-ray looked wonderful and he was very pleased with everything staying in place. He released me to swim-for therapy, lift up to 15 pounds, take my brace off when I am supported by a chair and there is no chance of me getting hurt, stop taking my neurotin(spell) which is the med I have been wanting to stop, and graduate to my cane!

So it was all such a good visit until.... I asked him about delivery. He basically told me my two options because I can NO LONGER have an EPIDURAL! (I have to much scar tissue and it would be to risky because of my surgery) I was shocked! Didn't know what to say... so he went on to tell me my choices: 1. I could have a natural delivery with iv meds. only. Which are not near the strength of the epidural. or 2. I could have a c-section with general anesthesia, which is putting me asleep. Neither one sounds like fun to me but I don't have much of a choice... so pray that God leads me in the right decision.

Overall, Andre and I enjoyed each others company and we had mostly good news. What more can we ask for.... thanks for praying for our trip!

Tomorrow is my appointment with the ob doctor! I get an ultrasound so I will update afterwards...

Thanks,
Mandi

8 comments:

The Jeffers Clan said...

That's wonderful Mandi! God is great. I can't believe what he said about people with the same illness. Kind of puts things in to perspective. We will be praying for you and your family for more great healing:) Please let us know if we can do anything at all. Good Luck!

Susie said...

YAY Mandi!!!! God has brought you thus far and prayers will not be in vain...He will see you through until your new baby is in your arms! God's Grace & Mercy are new everyday! PTL!

Chelsa said...

Mandi- I would never try to sway your decision one way or the other, b/c everyone's is a very personal decision, but I did want to share w/ you what happened when I went in to deliver Brycen almost 4 years ago. I had planned on having an epidural the entire time, never thought about NOT getting one... when my water broke though I got pre-eclampsia which made my platelets (which clots your blood) drop really really scary low. They said there was no way I could get an epidural. I was TERRIFIED! It did not sound like fun, but you know what, I did it, and now that I look back I don't even remember it being that bad. Actually, I'm pregnant again now, and I'm thinking I'm going to try to do it again that way, afterwards it was such an exhilarating feeling! Plus, I know God was there taking care of me the entire time... Anyway, I just wanted to share that story w/ you! I'll be praying for your decision and a safe delivery, either way!! The end result (a healthy baby and momma) is what really matters anyway!

Anonymous said...

Mandi, you are such a strong women. Either way you will be successful! I get to go to the doc. today too, may see you there. I'll be there at 2pm, we may get to find out what this little butterfly in my belly is!

Laura Raber said...

Mandi - I have no words to describe how truly amazing yours and Gabe's recoveries are! God is so amazing and His blessings overflow...I hope you don't mind...but my Bible study here in Macomb, IL is studying Walking by Faith by Jennifer Rothschild and I wanted to provide them with a testimony to prove it...so, I referred them to your blog...I believe MANY, MANY, people will continue to be blessed through your story. We will continue to pray!!!!

Lauren said...

believing with you...

Courtney, Jeff, Ayla & Leah said...

I'm not even surprised by it all anymore....ha Yes I am!! :) Your partership with God is amazing and I love reading your story and knowing the example you are being made for all! The prayers will not stop now... but multiply! How cool is that? As far as delivery goes... well, you will know what is right. The outcome is the same, however the arrival may be different. One may cause you more pain during, but your body is made for a natural delivery. Plus you will be able to see your little one right away. A C-section is safe, but a longer recovery after? Regardless, you and your family will be able to celebrate another miracle...

Jay said...

Blessing on your recovery! We have an amazing God that is for sure! He is going to get you through the delivery as well. No matter which way you proceed with, it will be fine.

My mother had c-sections under general anesthesia with both me and my brother because of complications with her health. My dad has since referred to us as 'elevator babies' since he wasn't allowed in the operating room (in those days for that kind of procedure).

As long as baby arrives safely, it doesn't matter which way you go. Will be praying for you all. :)

Jay
thisisthegreatadventure.blogspot.com