Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Oh my God, do not delay"

Tomorrow will be one month since the accident. I try not to remember much about it, but I do know that I cried out to God in a way I had never done before in my life.... Mandi, Gabriel, and I had spent the entire Saturday in Indianapolis visiting with my brother Adam. Ironically, we learned our way around a city to which we would very soon be returning. It was approximately 11:00pm and we were coming in to the north side of Washington on Hwy. 57. We were about 1 minute from our house when I saw headlights coming over into my lane. My reaction was to swerve to my right, off of the highway. Not able to control the vehicle, we came back up on the pavement, already skidding sideways. After one more half-spin we went off the left side of the road and struck a telephone pole, snapping it off. When our vehicle came to a stop, it was resting on its side facing the opposite direction. Mandi and our 14 month old, Gabriel, were ejected from the vehicle. That was June 14th. On July 8th, Mandi and Gabe were discharged and came home on the same day. Mandi had one surgery to repair her back. She now has two rods and eight screws. All titanium. I always said she was hardcore! As for Gabriel....He suffered a major skull fracture and major trauma to his trachia. But now...after several cat-scans, MRI's, x-rays, two blood transfusions, and two throat operations, he now is back home, and the only remnant of the accident is a feeding tube. Praise you Father! .....both Gabe and Mandi are learning to walk again and are daily showing progress. Thank you for all your prayers..God has heard them, and has shown great mercy and grace! Mandi's neurosurgeon told Mandi that he didn't know if she would ever walk again. Only 10 days after her surgery, she was walking with a walker!!! Our Father has us safely in the palms of His hands, and has taken what could have been a tragedy, and has given Gabe strength beyond measure, Mandi, a new perspective on life and family, and me, a whole new passion for Him and love for family and others. We praise Him for how He has seen us through and blessed us immensly through the love and provision of family and countless friends. Again, thank you for your prayers and encouragement, and I ask for your continued committment to prayer. Gabriel goes back to Riley Hospital on Thursday, July 17th. If they believe enough healing has taken place in his throat, they will take out his feeding tube! Mandi also goes to Indy on Thursday to see her neurologist. They will x-ray to make sure the titanium in her back looks stable and in-place. ...oh ya, and she will also be seeing the guy who made her brace. He will be cutting out a hole in the front of it so that as her belly grows (she's prego in case you didn't know) it will have room to stick out the front of her brace. (that should look pretty cute!)one more thing....if you were wondering about the title of this blog..."oh my God, Do not delay"......read Psalm chapter 40 (niv) (this is the scripture we pray over our new baby that is due in Jan.)

2 comments:

Guatmama said...

So good to hear of God's faithfulness - still praying daily for you family

Ashley

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to share a song with you that was playing at the same moment that Chelsea was telling me about the accident. I feel that God was speaking to us and letting us know that you and Gabe were going to be ok and that you both would Walk again. The song is titled "I'll Walk" by Bucky Covington. It gives me goose bumps everytime I hear it. Hopefully you can find this song on the internet and listen to it. God is so awsome and I feel that it is not just a fluke that this song was playing at that time. Be strong Mandy and Gabe! Lance can really sympathize with all of your back pain, surgery and recovery....He says you can make it through it and hang in there.
We love you all,
Rhonda, Mitch, Chelsea, Lance and Gage